Thursday, 26 June 2014

Gertie's Jeans

My first pair of pants - woohoo! The pattern is Butterick 5895 - Gertie's capri pants and cropped shirt for Butterick. As it's winter here in the Southern Hemisphere I decided to lengthen them and turn them into jeans. The fit's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with them for my first attempt.

I had a bit of trouble with the sizing. First I made a size 8 toile which was ridiculously small so I then made a 12 which fitted perfectly. I didn't account for the stretch in the denim though, so when I came to making the actual pants so they were really loose and I ended up taking them in quite a lot. In the end I probably should have made a 10.

The legs also required taking in a lot - they are certainly not designed the way that's shown on the pattern photo.

I shortened them above the crotch by 2cm but there is still quite a bit of baginess there which is the only thing I'm not really happy with.  Next time I'll try taking out a bit more - though that may affect the butt which actually fits really well.

I had been quite nervous about sewing pants but the construction was pretty straight forward and it came together easily. Looking forward to making my next pair!