My first Colette pattern sewing experience. Yes, I'm rather slow to the party but better late than never. I've been wanting to sew this for ages but I was waiting for the right fabric to come along and it was worth the wait. I picked up this strawberry and cherry 1930's print cotton in Tokyo and I absolutely love it.
This is a lovely pattern and came together more easily than I expected. I think all the pieces scared me off a bit at first and all those buttons! I went for smaller ones than suggested and also added an extra one at the top to balance it out a bit more.
I cut a size 4 bodice, tapered the midriff to a size 6 at the hips and cut a size 6 skirt. The skirt was still a little wide for me so I took it in further at the sides quite a bit and also shortened the length.
I thought the full sleeves would swamp my small frame so I used the capped sleeves from New Look 6069 and finished the underarm with bias binding. Lauren from Lladybird has a great tutorial for this - thanks Lauren!
My muslin showed that the back bodice was way too big so I had to make a 4cm swayback adjustment.
Thanks to the Colette Handbook for instructions on how to do this.
|And now for another "hands on hips" pose|
Soundtrack: Tutti Frutti - Little Richard